Friday, April 30, 2010

Tired--but still knocked out the workout.

Here's yesterday's blog; I meant to post it, well, yesterday, but had Internet connectivity issues:

Today, I was tired--all throughout the work day. Last night, I went to a "happy hour" for my grad program's alumni group. I successfully stared down a heaping plate of nachos, even a more healthful ahi tuna salad, and ceremoniously enjoyed my apple and decaf coffee. After that, I took the subway over to Chinatown to hit up a sporting goods store to buy a lighter resistance band for the shoulder exercises, and a heavier one for the rows. Not that I'm afraid of the burn, but it's been difficult to work up to the required reps--with proper form, no pausing, and no use of outside "helper" muscles, as Patrick has warned against--to really work my deltoids. I've noticed that it's tough to gauge the actual resistance that these suckers will actual throw at you during a workout, if you only try them out in the store. A 5-lb band doesn't seem like it should fry your muscles almost to the point of tears, but after you've already gone lethal on your lats, pummeled your pecs, and beat down your biceps, that scrawny-looking little piece of hose can give your shoulders some serious attitude.

The diet is good. Today:

Breakfast--scrambled egg with fried onion & peppers, oatmeal;

Lunch--baked mahi-mahi with Cajun spices, rice, and "big steam" carrots, broccoli, & asparagus;

Dinner--more mahi-mahi (eating it now before it starts to turn), quinoa, and spinach salad with tomatoes and cucumber.

Despite being tired--and hungry--I knocked out my workout after work (the shopping trip last night, on top of the happy hour, really pushed dinner back, and put me in bed past my PCP bedtime.)

Speaking of which...

No comments:

Post a Comment